Sunday, April 11, 2010

Salamanders

Gah! So after about 30 mins of trying to log into stupid flickr to upload the photos it still won't let me sign in. I give up! You can just deal with small photos and then click on them to get bigger ones if you want. So angry!

I went out at about 11pm last Thursday night to go salamander hunting. I went with a couple of my friends to a golf course where we wandered around in the rain and the dark looking for salamanders with torches. Salamanders are pretty cool.
Here is a male Spotted Salamander:


And a female:


And a juvenile:


They pretty much look the same, huh? If you look closely you can see that the male has a bulge at the base of his tail and that the female is fat and full of eggs. The juvenile was just smaller I guess...

We also found some Jefferson Salamanders:


These guys are really fast, but they get confused when you shine your torch on them or put your hand in front of them. Then they just sit there stupidly for a couple of minutes before racing off again.

Because it had rained all the worms were out, and I can tell you that the worms here are massive! Here is a photo I took with my feet for reference:


We also found a couple of frogs. A green frog (I think that's what it was) and a peeper. They are called peepers because they make a very high pitched repetitive peeping noise (surprise, surprise), which sometimes make it feel like your brain is about to explode.
Green frog:


Peeper (these guys are tiny):


We tried to find an elusive Leopard frog, but they were all really far into the marsh. Alas. Thanks to Abby and Jonah for taking me out with them!

2 comments: