Monday, January 18, 2010

Phase 2 - Getting to Ithaca

Upon arriving at my hostel I was greeted by a full dorm room and a top bunk with a very spiky mattress.
There was a European couple who insisted on sleeping in the same bed, a skater dude from DC, some bogans from the Gold Coast (more on them later) and a pair of Canadian sisters (Sarah and Judie).

Now, Sarah and Judie had come to NY for a couple of days to go see Spacehog (cyberhog, spacepig, intergalactic swine) and were driving back to Toronto the next day, conveniently driving right through Ithaca. They offered me a lift. Usually I would politely decline and get the bus instead, just in case they were axe murderers, but they were roughly parent-age and were very nice (one had kids and the other was a Sunday school teacher). I was going to go with them to the gig but it was sold out. Instead I stayed in and went to sleep (or tried to sleep on my mattress made of springs with fabric on top).

The next morning we got up to leave and were regaled with stories of the bogan's night out. Apparently they had gone to the meat packing district (not sure if this is a euphemism for something else or not) and had paid $800 to get into a club. Once inside the club they then paid a further $500 for a bottle of vodka. They must have bought more though as they said their final bill was in excess of $2500. This is US$ mind you. They then preceded to brag about the fact that they got the bill lowered to $450 because one of their friends got peed on.
What are you supposed to say to something like that? Well done guys? Wow, that must have been fun? Stupid bogans.

Anyway, before we left NY we got some pizza for lunch. It was pretty tasty. And the pieces are so big you have to fold them over to be able to eat them.



Also, a photo down the street outside the hostel.

The trip was pretty uneventful. I jumped in some snow at a petrol station and they didn't murder me and bury me in the woods. Judie had some pretty whacky stories to tell though. Including one that started with "One time I had a hooker stay with me for a while. She robbed banks." That's not a phrase you hear every day.

We got to Ithaca at about 6pm so it was dark and cold. I stayed the night at a B&B owned by a very nice couple, Colleen and Evan. After I put my bags in my room Colleen drove me to the supermarket to get some food and then in the morning she took me to my dorm.
I took some photos of the B&B because it was amazing. It's an 1863 house that they fixed up. I was going to take more photos this morning before I left but I forgot to turn the alarm on so I overslept (I set it, just forgot to turn it on).




And some photos that I took from the top of the stairs this morning.



So much snow!

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is all very exciting, please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ERIKA!
    Haha I think i'm going to enjoy your bloggings... I liked your little story about the bogans.

    HAVE FUUUUUUUUUN!

    ReplyDelete