Monday, January 18, 2010

Phase 1 - Getting to America

Greetings!

The past few days have been rather eventful. Will you hear my tale?

Waiting at Sydney airport was very boring. I got there 3 hours before my flight, as you do, and was greeted with an empty check in line and subsequently a very short security line. As awesome as this was it did mean that I had an awful lot of time to kill at the airport before my flight. So, I sat down, charged some stuff and took some photos out the window.


On the plane I unfortunately did not have a window seat, but I did have a row of 4 seats all to myself. Though drugged up on sudafed as I was, I wasn't able to utilise them for sleep.

13 hours later we arrived in LA to go through immigration. The immigration man was very nice, he offered me a menthol (?) for my cough. The customs lady on the other hand was grumpy and rude. Oh well, you can't win them all.

The flight through to NY was just as empty before and I managed to get a little awkward sleep on my 4 seats. I was woken up by insane turbulence that had me bouncing out of the seats (yes, I had a seatbelt on) so I sat up again for the rest of the flight.

I had a chat with one of the air hostesses before we took off and discovered that they got their shifts (flights) by bidding for them, on a seniority basis. ie. the higher up you were the more likely you were to get the flights that you wanted. Crazy, huh!

Anyway, we landed in NY where I got a taxi to the hostel. In NY the taxi men are separated from you inside a perspex box. It was weird. I guess it's so they don't get stabbed or somesuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment